01 March 2009

Not-so-still life with Netbook

My wife bought me a Asus Eee PC 900 for Christmas, after seeing me struggle with an aging Apple Pismo Powerbook that I use for personal use. I will admit that I struggled a bit with integrating it into my workflow at first - I found the response a bit pokey ( and this is in comparison to a 500 MHz G3 processor) and the UI was very clunky.

However, with the advice of a colleague at work (thanks, Andrew!) I installed Eeebuntu, and the machine is now a powerful tool with reasonably snappy response and a usable GUI. Best of all, the machine's small size makes it easy to pick up and use in situations where I'd be reluctant to drag out my work laptop.

The validation came last week for me, when I was able to write a policy document for a major client while on a very crowded flight - and was in a coach seat where I could not have fully opened my 15" MacBook Pro. The netbook's smaller size enabled me to draft most of the document, which later turned out to be a key delivery during the conference. Having the netbook made the difference between immediate and deferred delivery.

So, as always, having the right tool for the right job makes a difference in time and quality of delivery - and the netbook is now part of my arsenal.

I'll be trying a netbook-only day trip sometime soon, so stay tuned for further experiences.

No comments: